Disability Resources Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact an Academic & Career Advisor to make or change an appointment or find an advising location

Do I need to see an advisor?

All students are strongly encouraged to see an advisor at least once per semester. The following are required to see an advisor:

  • Students pursuing one of the following programs of study: nursing, aviation, and radiologic technology
  • Students on academic probation
  • Financial aid recipients who must submit an appeal to be considered for continued aid eligibility (see the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy)
  • Students seeking to take more than 18 credits in any one semester
  • Student athletes
  • International students

Schedule an in-person or telephone appointment,

Can I keep my same advisor throughout the program or make special requests?

Yes. Students can also request advisors outside of their specialization.

Also, you may qualify for the SSS-TRiO program that offers advising, individualized tutoring, scholarship assistance, success workshops, and more to help you be successful in college.

What kind of documentation do I need to bring to my appointment?

Please bring:

  • unofficial transcripts from any prior colleges or universities you have attended
  • scores from any standardized tests you have completed such as ACT, SAT, AIMS, or college placement assessments
  • high school transcripts.

How do I decide which courses to take each semester?

Plan your coursework each semester by using DegreeWorks, our online degree-audit system. This web-based tool monitors your progress toward degree/certificate completion.

To access Degreeworks, login and go to My Services ->Degreeworks. DegreeWorks tutorial or contact your Academic Advisor (see the My Advisor link in your MyYC portal).

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress, and where do I find more information?

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for financial aid.

See our current catalog for Yavapai College's standards of Academic Progress.

Your Satisfactory Academic Progress will not follow you to another school. However, you should contact the transfer institution directly since each school has its own policies and procedures concerning standards and transfer credits.

Will my classes transfer to another institution?

Yavapai College is a regionally accredited institution, so most classes are transferable to other institutions; however, it is always best to check with an academic advisor or your transfer institution for information about transferability and equivalencies for specific courses.

Use AZTransfer.com to check courses transfer to NAU, ASU and Univerisity of Arizona.

What do terms like GPA, probation, suspension, and academic progress mean?

Look in our current college catalog Glossary of Terms for descriptions and definitions of these and many other important terms for college students to understand.